- var/const/let, data types, objects and arrays
- Functions, arrow functions, higher order functions and callbacks
- Closure - including higher order functions with closures (once and caching functions)
- Recursion, algorithms and Big(O) notation
- Technical communication - including recording and analyzing how you talk through coding challenges
- Debugging techniques to prepare you to build more advanced applications
You will have the opportunity to work on a number of projects focused on the following -
- Working with big data using functional programming techniques, build Texas Hold’em and simple cryptographic tools
Upcoming Start Dates
- September 4th, 2018 - Application Deadline: August 22nd, 2018
- October 1st, 2018 - Application Deadline: September 19th, 2018
Course Structure Overview
CS Prep goes for just over two weeks with this structure -
- Week 1: Mon-Wed (5-8PM PST/ 8-11PM EST) and Sat (9AM-3:30PM PST/ 12PM-6PM EST)
- Week 2: Mon-Wed (5-8PM PST/ 8-11PM EST) and Sat (9AM-3:30PM PST/ 12PM-6PM EST)
- Week 3: Mon (5-6PM PST/ 8-9pm EST)
- Note: The September 4th course Week 1 will run Tues-Thurs (5-8PM PST/ 8-11PM EST) and Sat (9AM-3:30PM PST/ 12PM-6PM EST) due to Labor Day on Monday, September 3rd
Each day of CS Prep has the same fundamental components -
- Live in depth lecture using an immersive online learning environment that facilitates easy interaction with other students and the instructor
- Instructor live coding and diagramming through example challenges
- Pair programming through projects/challenges with a focus on improving technical communication and problem solving
- Time for Q & A with instructors on concepts, tips for technical interviews, and discussion of how to approach a career in software engineering
Who is CS Prep for?
Those preparing for the Codesmith admissions process. (CS Prep was particularly designed to help applicants develop experience in the 5 key engineering capacities that Codesmith looks for.)
Why Apply to CS Prep?
Whether you’re preparing for a top coding program or just getting started on your search for developer roles, CS Prep will help you lay a strong foundation for your future in software engineering. CS Prep offers -
- Dedicated support from an engineering mentor
- Guidance in developing the problem-solving skills needed to approach any technology
What You Will Achieve
CS Prep aims to develop you in the following five capacities that make an exceptional software engineer -
- Analytical problem solving with code
- Technical communication (can another person implement your code just from your explanation)
- Engineering best practices and approach (debugging, code structure, patience and reference to documentation)
- Non-technical communication (empathetic and thoughtful communication)
How to Apply
Given the rigor of this program, CS Prep operates a selective admissions process, accepting only the most promising applicants. We look for applicants who show a commitment to coding and excellent problem-solving capacity; there are two admissions pathways through which to demonstrate your potential.
There are 2 different ways to apply to highlight your strengths.
Beginner Application Pathway
Tell us about your commitment to coding by supplementing your program application with two additional short essays on your coding ambitions.Apply
Intermediate Application Pathway
Show us your problem-solving skills by completing a coding challenge.Apply
Tuition and Scholarships
CS Prep tuition for a limited time is $750 (usually $1,500).
If you are accepted into the Codesmith immersive program, the amount you pay for CS Prep goes toward your Codesmith tuition as a credit.
CS Prep strives to be accessible to all candidates committed to excellence in software engineering. In an effort to support our candidates, we offer scholarships to -
- Exceptional candidates from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in tech
- Candidates who demonstrate great potential in at least 2 of the 5 capacities that make an exceptional engineer
To apply for a scholarship, please complete this application AFTER you have submitted your program application (above).
If you are unable to pay your tuition there are payment plans available, you can discuss these plans with the CS Prep Admissions Team due to their case by case nature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Completing CS prep does not guarantee you admission to the Codesmith Software Engineering immersive program. CS Prep is designed for students preparing for advanced programs and will give you extensive practice in all the capacities Codesmith looks for in its applicants, helping you put your best foot forward in your interviews.
At the end of CS Prep if you pass the assessment you are guaranteed a Codesmith technical interview.
Both application paths are great, feel free to apply through either.
These units must be completed for beginning the program, you do not need to have completed them before applying.
CS Prep uses several platforms to facilitate your online classroom experience. You’ll receive access and instructions before the course begins on what you’ll need to have installed.
The classroom environment allows you to ask questions during the lecture, collaborate with other students, and personalize your own learning experience through annotation and note taking capabilities.