Upcoming Cohort Dates & Deadlines
In Los Angeles -
- September 10th, 2018 - (Apply by August 10th | Technical Interview by August 20th)
- October 29th, 2018 - (Apply by September 29th | Technical Interview by October 8th)
In New York City -
- August 6th, 2018 - (Deadline Extended to July 21st)
- September 24th, 2018 (Apply by August 24th | Technical Interview by September 3rd)
The Admissions Process
The two interviews assess your potential in the five areas that make an exceptional engineer -
- Analytical problem-solving - How do you use code as a tool to reason about new problems you face in the technical interview
- Technical communication - Talking through your code precisely and clearly (a huge part of what makes an effective engineer)
- Non-technical communication - Will you be thoughtful and supportive of others through the tough hours and work
- How you handle hitting a block- How do you debug, take feedback when you hit a block in your understanding (we make sure you hit a moment like this in the interview)
The first interview is non-technical and is used to get a sense of why you are interested in Codesmith and learning more about your background and software engineering goals. During your first interview we'll discuss the technical interview - what you specifically should focus on for preparation and when you should schedule it based on the cohort start date you are shooting for.
We realize that the Codesmith admissions process can feel intimidating but we have created numerous free public events and workshops and a free online learning platform with challenges and projects to help you prepare.Start your application
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Codesmith is committed to strengthening and growing a broad and deep community of software engineers from all backgrounds, and the Codesmith $100k scholarship fund is an important part of this commitment. Read more about your options here.
In addition, we offer loans through Skills Fund as we believe that your financial situation should never keep you from achieving your engineering goals.
Top resources for technical communication, problem solving and best practices -
- Codesmith's free online learning courses with challenges and projects
- Coding Challenge sites like: Codewars , Coderbyte, LeetCode, HackerRank, Project Euler
- Web development challenge sites like: Nodeschool , Exercism.io
- PythonTutor - Allows you to run through your code line by line similar to the JS the Hard Parts white boarding approach. Run each of your Codewars solutions through PythonTutor to ensure you truly understand your solution
- CSX - Codesmith's Free Online Courses
- Codewars (and other coding challenge sites)
- JS the Hard Parts (Thursday workshop 6:30pm at Codesmith online and in-person)
- JS the Weird Parts (Udemy)
- ReactiveX LearnRX challenges (Higher order functions)
More introductory resources -
If you have questions about the admissions process please reach out! You can reach the LA admissions team at email@example.com and the NY admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org. For general questions you can give us a call at (323) 736-0715 or email us at email@example.com. Best of luck on your software engineering journey!